Monday, July 30, 2018

Easy Cupcake Topper!

There is a bakery near us that has themed days during the summer where you can come in and get a free cupcake if you dress up like the theme.  The first week was Star Wars, then there was Luau, Harry Potter, and, well, I bet you can guess this one!   

But since Mr. A and Princess O are allergic to milk, they can't have most bakery's cupcakes.  Both cake and frosting generally have butter in them.  So each week I have brought my own for Mr. A so that he can enjoy with everyone else!  All you need for this sparkly design is:

Chocolate (I used a dairy free chocolate, but any chocolate or melting chocolate will do!)
Coconut oil 
Sprinkles
Parchment Paper
Optional: a printed design.

This is really much simpler than it looks!  Melt your chocolate either in a double boiler or the microwave.  Once it's all good and melty, add a scoop of coconut oil to the chocolate, mix, and scoop it into a zipper bag or a pastry bag or a chocolate bottle (I don't know if that's the technical name but I bought a plastic bottle that looks like a mini ketchup bottle, with a nozzle on top, at Walmart for super cheap several years ago, and that's what I use).  If you're using a bag clip the very tiny corner off the bag.

Quick note.  The coconut oil tempers the chocolate, which basically means that it helps it to set up and hold it's shape after it cools back down.  I'm sure there are other places that can tell you an exact amount, I generally wing it.  You don't want too much or it will ruin your chocolate, but too little and your designs may sag.  In AZ, they'll probably end up sagging eventually either way...

Then tape your parchment paper to the counter, a plate, or a cookie sheet and pipe your design with the chocolate.  I just did this free hand because it was just one, it was a simple design, and didn't need to be perfect.  I have done similar projects before, HERE , that were more intricate, in which case I generally tape a print of what I want behind the parchment paper to follow.  


Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle heavily with your sprinkles.

To get the nice sparkle here, and used black-colored sugar sprinkles.  Though I don't recommend trying to make black by yourself, too messy, sugar sprinkles are easy!  All you need is course, white sugar, or even just regular granulated sugar and food coloring.  Add food coloring to your sugar and stir with a fork until it's all evenly coated.  Add more color as needed.  Then once it's even, spread out on a plate or cookie sheet or something to let it dry.  Easy-peasy!

Once you've added a heavy coat of sprinkles, let the chocolates set.  For me, this meant a trip to the fridge!  It's just too warm for chocolate to set inside my house right now!


Once the chocolate is hard, set it on top of your cupcake and enjoy!!!

The possibilities are endless!  Bats for a Batman party, arrows for a Robin Hood party, rainbows for an unicorn party, flowers for a garden party, a crown for the Queen or Princess in your life!  Tell me what you do!  Can't wait to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment