Saturday, September 26, 2015

Target Pull-Pinata - Robin Hood Birthday!

Mr. A is way into Robin Hood, so we planned him a Robin Hood Birthday party!  I thought a piñata would be fun, and he thought a target piñata would be a must!  So here goes!

First cut two circles from cardboard (a front and a back)

Then I cut strips two inches wide from an old cereal box and started to tape them around one circle.  You only see a little tape compared to how much I used in the long run!  eventually I broke out the masking tape, and then the duct tape!  When I added the decorations, it became totally secure! 



I sketched where I wanted each color to be then cut tissue paper into long strips, fringed it, and started gluing!  I used hot glue and started on the out side (cereal box part) then moved in.  Basically 6 inches of hot glue, lay down tissue, again and again.  I put each round 1/4 - 1/2 inch apart.

Edit: I have since done several pinatas, and have found that the streamers you can buy for decorating for parties, you know like the long crinkly things, well they work fantastically well for the fringe!  Just pull off a long piece, then fold it accordion style around six inches long, then fold it in half hot dog style and fringe the edge, making sure not to cut through.  Then unwind it and start gluing, folding it hot dog style as you go so it looks like the pic above.  Good luck!

Finally I cut free a flap on the bottom and cut some slits through which I threaded some green ribbon.  I threaded about 12 pieces through, but only ONE was attached.  The one that was attached I cut shorter than the others.  The idea is that each child got 1-2 turns to pull out a ribbon, the last one was the attached one and pulled open the piñata letting loose the goodies inside!  For more details, and another rendition of a pull-Pinta, visit Fancy Frugally, for a more detailed tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment