Saturday, July 7, 2018

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser DIY

Our old soap dispensers in our master bathroom were cracked and old, and to be honest, I was just bored of them! So I decided it was time for a change!

Our kid bathroom has had a foaming soap dispenser for some time now because it cuts down on waste, and lets be honest, kids spend about 4 seconds washing their hands, they need the soap to come foamy or most of their hands won't see soap!

I love the foaming soap and decided I wanted it for our bathroom.  I didn't however, want a plastic bottle... blah.  After looking at lots of soap dispensers foaming and not online and in-store, I determined that I didn't like what I saw, so naturally I took to Pinterest! 

I came across a different mason jar project and I realized exactly what I wanted!


You will need:
*Mason Jar, lid, and ring
*Scissors
*Scrap of Paper
*Foaming soap dispenser I'm using a 78c one from Walmart
*Glue Gun
*Nail
*Hammer


First, Trace your jar lid on a piece of paper and then draw a smaller circle in the center big enough for the bottom of the soap pump to fit.  Then cut it out and test it.  If it's right, draw the smaller circle on your jar lid.


Next, use a nail and perforate around the circle you just drew, poking holes as close to each other as possible.  Be sure you do this on a scrap wood or in the grass or something, otherwise you're going to poke holes in whatever surface you're on.


Then, using pliers to save your fingers from getting cut, pull the center off.  If it won't come, poke another hole between holes so it comes apart easier.


Then use the pliers and hammer to flatten all the sharp edges or at least bend them down so you won't get cut.


Put your pump through from the top of the lid.


Then put hot glue all around the pump to seal it and cover the remaining sharp edges.  For this step, turn the glue gun on just before you are ready to glue and start gluing as soon as it is hot enough to squish out.  If the glue gets too hot it will melt the pump plastic and ruin it.

I set the lid on the jar upside down while gluing and while it dried.  The pump was pretty secure before I ever glued it.


Pour your soap into the jar and put the lid on and screw it tight.  Done!


The blue soap in these jars comes from the bottles I bought for the pumps, but any soap will do.  If you get the soap refills from the grocery store, Sams, or Costco, simple mix your own foaming soap mix.  Put 1 part soap to 9 parts water.  Well, to be fair, I actually normally do 1-to-1 water-to-soap, but I've read that the proper mixture is 1-to-9.  Enjoy!


I also added a Mason Jar for our toothbrushes and toothpaste in our basket in the master bathroom to oraginize things a bit, and pull it all together.


No comments:

Post a Comment