Thursday, July 19, 2018

Grilled Pizza!



You know what I say:


Seriously!  If you can cook it - you can grill it!

First thing, this is a Dairy Free recipe!  Well, at least if you use a dairy free cheese!  We generally make a pizza for each person so everyone has the toppings and cheese they want and need!

First!  Turn your grill on and heat it up!  I like to get it something like 350 degrees, but to be totally honest, I wing it a lot of times depending on how much time I have!!! 

The pizza dough!  I got my recipe from the February 2017, Friend magazine put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  That article can be found HERE.  (with a slight tweak)

You will need:
1 1/4 c hot water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 c flour

Pro tip: your water should be steaming, you can microwave it or boil it, but most homes can get hot enough from the tap!

Mix the water, yeast and sugar together.  Let it sti for 3-5 minutes.  It should foam up a bit.  Then add the salt and 2 cups of flour.  Once it's mixed together, add another half to quarter cup until the dough is soft but not sticky.  Take it out of the bowl and knead it a bit (flour on the counter or it'll stick!)  Then pull out a fist size portion at a time, flour your work surface and start rolling!  A rolling pin would be easiest, but I've used my hands, a glass, even a soup can (maybe take the paper off and wipe it clean first!).  I like my pizza crust thin and crunchy, but roll it according to your tastes.  my crusts are generally about the size of a half-cookie sheet.

Next, brush olive oil on one side of your dough and lay it out on the grill.


I generally bring my dough to the grill on a cutting board or cookie sheet and if the dough isn't sticky, it will slide right off onto the grill.  Careful though, I have melted a cutting board or two!!!


Watch it carefully!  Seriously!  Set a timer!  I have burnt soooo many crusts!!!  When the crust is getting toasty and golden use tongs or a spatula and take it off.

Then top THE COOKED SIDE with sauce (red, white, BBQ, etc.) and the toppings of your choice!  Some of our favorites are:
Pepperoni
Sausage
Onion
BBQ Chicken
Bacon
Hamburger
Tomatoes
Fresh Mozzarella
Basil (Fresh from the garden, yum!)
Olives
The possibilities are endless!

Don't forget the Cheese!

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, put the toppings on the side you already cooked!


Carefully bring it back to the grill and slide it on again, then quickly close the lid!  Closing the lid helps the cheese get all melty while the flame will crisp up the bottom.


So good!  The pizza bellow was made with dairy free, Follow Your Heart Mozzarella block cheese we shredded!


Depending on your placement, your grill, and the size of your pizzas, you can probably get several on the grill at a time.  I generally get about 4 at a time.


When the crust is looking golden underneath and the cheese is melty on top, use a spatula to carefully slide your pizza onto a cookie sheet. 

Now all that is left is to slice it and EAT it!!



Seriously sooo good!  It's got a slight smokey taste, ooey-gooey cheese, and delicious, thing, crispy crust!

And remember,


No comments:

Post a Comment