Monday, August 13, 2018

Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Salad!

Here we are in Arizona with 117 degree heat (REALLY though!!!) and I still refuse to turn on my oven!  Actually, I realized the other day that I have not used my oven since... well, December!  That's right, December!  See, we were gone to New Mexico from January to mid-May, and it was already well into the 100's when we returned, and I haven't used it since!  So for the last three months I have grilled anything I might otherwise bake!  Because,



Our stove/oven is gas, and if you go more than a few days without using the stove top you need a match to light it (or more patience with the gas than I have... gas stovetop still scares me after 4 years, I love it, but it scares me).  I need a match almost every time I use it these days because I cook with even the top so little!  Which brings me to today's recipe:


This was seriously good, even my husband loved it and he doesn't love most chicken!

My base came from this recipe but I don't follow recipes very well, so I sort of followed sort of didn't, but came up with the following ingredients:

1/2 cup mustard.  I used regular hotdog mustard because that's what I had!
a scant 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey (plus a little for good measure)
a scant 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregeno
1 tsp salt
a sprinkle of cayenne powder, because I need to feed the kids too!

Mix it all together, save out 1/8 cup of the mixture, and cover your chicken in the rest!  I let mine marinate a couple hours, overnight is great, or not at all, whatever time you have!


Then it was simple enough to grill it up!


Cook until the juices inside run clear, but please, by all means, don't over cook the chicken!  Most people have a tendency to cook chicken until it is dried out and gross!  I always slice mine thinner because my husband likes more flavor/sauce per chicken, so for me, it will take less than ten minutes to cook.  If you have thicker pieces it will take longer, but watch it and take it off the second it is safe!  Better yet, test it with a meat thermometer (I say that, but I've never done that... but it's still a great idea!)


I served it up on a plate so everyone could cut theirs up as they wanted.  plain chunks for the kids, slices for our salad.  

Now with that extra sauce you saved, mix it with enough mayo to get a nice pale yellow color.  Voila!  A delicious honey-mustard sauce for your chicken!  We used the sauce and my dairy free ranch on top of the salad, Yum!  In fact, everyone liked it so much I had to get up and make a second batch during dinner!


As always, remember,


No comments:

Post a Comment