Friday, August 17, 2018

Brownies - On the Grill

You guys, I have taken grilling to a whole new level!  I still haven't turned on the oven in our house... so really it's been 9 months or so!  

I found this tasty recipe from I Am Baker and my Husband really wanted to try it!  But I still won't turn on the oven, so for the latest grilling adventure, I give you Brownies on the Grill!


Because:


So when I pulled up this recipe my husband wanted to that night!  When he got home I excitedly told him that I bought an oven thermometer so I could grill the brownies, he kinda groaned a little....  Now to be fair, he is SERIOUSLY the most AMAZING guy ever!  I mean really, he lets me do ALL sorts of CRAZY things!  Like, turn a room (lets be real, the house) into a flower shop... more than once, always supports my crazy craft ideas, helps me help people when we're barely making do ourselves, oh yeah, and grill everything all summer!

I didn't make as big of a brownie cake as the recipe, but it was still delicious!

First I made up my brownies.  All you do is follow the instructions on the box!  Of course at our house everything is dairy free, so this is the Betty Crocker, family size, fudge brownies.  I also recommend Duncan Hines for your dairy free needs!  Our allergies are mild, so we can handle most cross contamination situations, if you can't, try Duncan Hines, they have no "may contain" warning. 

I sprayed the pans REALLY good so the brownies could come out in piece and I also put a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, then sprayed that really well!

In the mean time I had all four burners on low to bring the grill up to 350 degrees F.  I hung my new thermometer from the upper rack of our grill.  

It doesn't touch the lower grate and gives me a good middle-temp.  This one is just a cheap $5 one from Walmart. 


I picked my pans specifically because they fit on the top rack of our grill!  Once the grill was hot I turned off the middle burners so just the side ones were going, turned the side ones a quarter of the way up and set a timer for 10 minutes...

While it's cooking, and important note for you.  If you put the pans directly on the main griddle, you WILL burn your brownies!  If you don't have an upper rack, or it's tiny, use a pizza stone or a cookie sheet/jelly roll sheet turned upside down to give a barrier between your food and the flame.  Otherwise, your grill is essentially a gas-stove!

then I set one for 3 minutes...

then 3 more minutes...

then 1 minute...

then 1 minute...

then 1 minute...

I really didn't want to burn them!

All said, they probably cooked 20 minutes, but it's honestly going to depend on your grill, hotspots, and the thickness of your batter.


Yum!!!

Seriously!  They were perfect!  Couldn't have been happier with how they turned out!

Now, I made the rest of the cake per the recipe except I used a dairy free butter for the frosting, which was my mistake, I knew better.  Normally when I make frosting I use shortening (sometimes butter flavored shortening) because dairy free butter has a higher water content and it tends to split... like everytime.  So ours tasted great, but looked... meh.

Enjoy!  And remember,


I mean really though, I just grilled brownies!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment